Thursday, November 18, 2010

One who is Fortunate

Iqbal: one who is fortunate. Growing up I always dreaded the awkward moment when my name was called for attendance. On the first day of middle school my 6th grade English teacher, Mrs. Chumbris said, “I apologize if I mispronounce anyone’s name.” Feeling that was directed towards me, my stomach churned and my heart raced as she called names. “Garret?” “Here!” “Howard?” “Present!” “Umm…Ick-ball?” I heard giggles. My face was burning. I raised my hand next to my head too humiliated to raise it any higher. Ashamed that my name was different from others I turned towards my American world and pushed away and began to resent my Pakistani world. I turned to my “American” ways, becoming bold and opinionated. Whenever I would bring this attitude home, my parents grew more and more concerned that I was becoming too “Americanized” My parents feared that I would never recognize my native culture. These constant battles with my identity lead my parents to desperate measures; they decided I would spend my summers in Pakistan for two months, unlike my American friends who would spend their summers at sleep away camp.

In summer I would spend my time at my grand parent’s home in Islamabad, Pakistan. In Pakistan I became more cultured and proud of whom I was. I never truly felt pride for my ethnicity because I grew up in the United States, but that summer was literally world changing. My two worlds were now combined.

2 comments:

  1. i know how you felt!! my name was so butchered and i was so embarassed that i had a "different" name! It's nice that you got to go back to Pakistan and appreciate where you come from. i think it's nice growing up with 2 different cultures. good luck with the video im sure youll do a good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a really good story! The only thing I would change is that maybe you could extend the second paragraph and explain how you were becoming more cultured and more proud of who you were, add examples. Right now, the second paragraph seems rushed. Good luck! :)

    ReplyDelete