Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Life in Another View.


Edited.

I woke up everyday to the sound of my father's television blasting the news. I fell asleep to the sound of my father's television blasting the news. All my life I never once saw my father change the channel from CNN or BBC. Throughout my years of growing up I could never quite understand his fascination. I would always ask him “Why?” and he would simply reply by saying, “You need to be aware.” I found the distressing stories of the world sad, but I still could not truly feel their pain or suffering while living my comfortable life in the United States. I believe that a big part of why I never truly found myself fascinated by the worldly news was because I could never really relate to those suffering. My view of not caring for the daily news changed after the summer of 2007. I was visiting Pakistan during the start of recent of suicide bombings. I was stepping out of my comfort zone. I was now in a place where I was unsure of whether I would see my loved ones at the end of the day. After that summer I understood why my father spent hours watching the news. Although my experience is only a tiny glimpse of what people go through in war-like conditions everyday I was able to open my eyes and realize I needed to be more “aware”. From then on, my mornings and evenings have spent catching up with news alongside my father.

Word Count: 250

No comments:

Post a Comment